I’m a numbers geek. I flirted with comics, got cozy with computers, had a nice fling with RPGs but overall I’m about the numbers. On dates I total the bill in my head with the 10% gratuity, I have a very strict budget, hell I even count calories now. The Count taught me well. I do well, I’m very fiscally responsible yet week after week the realization is there; I’m broke as hell. Broke Phi Broke alumnus, dollarnaire, it’s no mula baby. Where does my money go? All my bills are on auto pay, I don’t pay for movies or music, I commute to work via train, I’ll take a crisp walking shoe over some Jordans any day and I don’t smoke and only drink socially (free). However, reviewing my budget, I’ve determined the things I ought to spend less on…
5. Art: Art is my second love next to writing, I love to sketch, paint and publish a graphic novel is somewhere on my bucket list. But art materials are ridiculous, the more you hone your craft the more you understand the need for quality materials. I used to get a no. 2 pencil and some printer paper and could go to work but it doesn’t blend well. I used to kill those little watercolor sets you could get from like a CVS or something but I’ve fell in love with acrylic.
4. Produce: I know why the country is obese, fresh food is expensive. Grapes cost more than gas, I gotta eat a pound as I shop just to save me $4 #thuglife. I’ve been focusing on eating better these days but Whole Foods be hurting my pockets, I need to start shopping in one of them grocery stores in the hood where they charge you 10 cents per bag and they only sell the off brand products like they have on TV shows
3. Gym and etc: I go to two gyms #atthesamedamntime, the easy solution would be to drop one but they have different purposes: my Planet Fitness has convenient locations and has nicer equipment (and eye candy) while my local gym with a basketball court and a pool. Then of course there’s gym clothes which need to be washed frequently, factor in water and drinks, headphones that never last it costs me way more than I ever expected. It’s cheaper to be fat.
2. Home Decor: I moved into my apartment with nothing but my clothes. I was always bouncing around staying with fam and girlfriends that I didn’t have much of my own. So when I finally had a space of my own I decked it out, and 2 years later I’m still buying stuff for my place. New curtains, rugs, trinkets, I’m the guy that goes into Wal-Mart for one thing and leave with a cart.
1. WOMEN- Yes, women. By no means am I whipped (anymore) but just in general women are expensive, gifts, dates, keeping myself fly, it’s daunting. According to my numbers, I cannot afford to go out until next Tuesday or I can make her pay but that doesn’t always go over too well. “She” alone cost me (won’t even post amount it’s that bad) and I was out of work for part of the relationship.
This doesn’t even count personal emergencies, family/friend emergencies, vacations, new car, moving and Mitt Romney winning in November. Maybe I should get started on that book, graphic novel, business prospectus, or investment portfolio I was working on. Or woo me a rich woman. I’m trying to do better than good enough. *Broke Phi Broke stomp out*